Sinusitis - Sinusitis, inflammation of the sinuses accompanied by one (or both) may be acute or chronic.Purulent sinusitis - a complication of bacterial sinusitis, characterized by the formation of pus in the maxillary sinuses.Pus appears when clogged passage between the sinuses and nasal cavity, mucus then located in the sinuses, the bacteria begin to multiply.
Most often acute purulent sinusitis is preceded by acute catarrhal sinusitis, which is not fully cured.Also, the reason that the disease can be a chronic infection in the oral or nasal cavity, and even decay of the upper jaw.
purulent sinusitis in children
Unfortunately, purulent sinusitis is diagnosed in children more often than adults.This is due to the fact that the child's passage between the maxillary sinus and nasal cavity is much narrower, and therefore it is lighter may close clot mucus.In addition, children often sniffles snot and draw into itself, which also contributes to blocking the passage.Another reason that the purulent sinusi
Reasons contributing to the development of sinusitis
Not every sinusitis leads to sinusitis, and each is accompanied by the formation of purulent sinusitis mucus.There are factors that affect the course of the disease and contribute to the development of purulent sinusitis.Here they are:
1. Foreign body in the nose, deviated septum, congenital very narrow passages connecting the maxillary sinus to the nasal cavity, other anatomical features of the structure of the nasal cavity, resulting in failure of nasal breathing.
2. tumors, polyps and other entities in the nasal cavity, which interfere with the free nasal breathing.
3. Weakened immune system due to long-term chronic illness or acute infection.
4. Allergic rhinitis is accompanied by the release of large amounts of mucus from the nose.
5. Inflammation in the gums and tissues of the upper jaw.
6. Cystic fibrosis - a disease characterized by the formation of a viscous and thick mucus in the nasal passages.
7. environmental factors: house dust, fumes in the air.
Symptoms of acute purulent sinusitis
Acute sinusitis pus has specific symptoms, which can be distinguished from other diseases:
1. Pain syndrome.When the sinusitis becomes purulent sinusitis, the patient feels pressure in the nose.In the future, there are painful sensations under the eyes, headache, and even toothache.But in fact the place of the pain - the maxillary sinus.Pain syndrome in the morning is not very evident, and in the evening, usually increases.It is also a distinctive feature of the pain associated with acute purulent sinusitis is their gain when tilting the head forward.
2. labored nasal breathing.From the sinus inflammation occurs swelling of the mucous nasal passage and, as a consequence, difficulty in nasal breathing.If the inflammation is bilateral, the nasal breathing may be completely absent.Because of constant nasal congestion in a human voice is changing, it becomes nasal.Also, patients with worsening smell, until the complete lack thereof.
3. Edema facial tissues.When purulent sinusitis is often observed swelling of the lower (sometimes upper) Age and / or cheeks.If unilateral sinusitis, the edematous will be the side of the face, which is inflamed maxillary sinus.If sinusitis sided, the swelling will be observed on either side of the nose.That is, there are outward signs, which can diagnose sinusitis.
4. Purulent mucus from the nose.It is the presence of pus in the mucous discharge from the nose is a sign of purulent discharge gaymorita.Eti characterized by an unpleasant smell, color of mucus - from yellow to green.If the passage between the maxillary sinus and nasal cavity is blocked, then purulent mucus, having no outlet, is a threat to the health and life of the patient.As can "break" in any direction, including the direction of the brain.
5. The high temperature of the body.For purulent sinusitis is characterized by fever.In acute disease the temperature can rise to 39 - 40 degrees, which is dangerous for the life of the patient.Increased body temperature accompanied by sweating, weakness, chills, malaise.
also purulent sinusitis is accompanied by nonspecific symptoms: fatigue, sleep disturbance, decreased performance, lack of appetite.
treatment of purulent sinusitis
treatment of purulent sinusitis should deal only with the doctor otolaryngologist.To the doctor should be treated at the first sign of the disease.When untimely or inappropriate treatment done may develop severe complications, as pus from the sinus can get into the cranial cavity and cause meningitis, meningoencephalitis.Inflammation can also move to the eyes, ears, respiratory tract, oral cavity.
Self-treatment of purulent sinusitis folk remedies is strictly prohibited.In no event it is impossible to heat the site of inflammation, as this could trigger the development of complications and accelerate the spread of inflammation.
Only a qualified doctor can prescribe treatment correctly, considering the complaint and the general state of the patient, the results of its analysis and related diseases, if any.
the treatment of purulent sinusitis can not do without receiving antibiotics.Antibacterial agents can be administered in the form of tablets or injections (intravenous or intramuscular).Reception method antibiotics determined by the physician, depending on the severity of the patient's condition.The duration of treatment is 7-10 days.Improving the well-being observed 2-3 days after the beginning of reception of antibiotics, but, in any case, you can not stop taking drugs, it is necessary to undergo treatment until the end.
for relief of pain, in acute purulent sinusitis, prescribed NSAIDs such as Baralgin, Analgin, Panadol, Nurofen.
To reduce the inflammation of the nasal passages and remove edema, vasoconstrictor drugs administered in the form of spray (Otrivin, Rinonorm) or drops (Sanorin, Nazivin).This contributes to an outflow of purulent mucus from the sinuses.
During treatment of purulent sinusitis is necessary several times a day to carry out washing nasal saline solutions (akvamaris, Marimer), chamomile broth or just boiled water.
If drug treatment does not produce the expected results, the surgery is performed.During the operation, the doctor pierces the maxillary sinus, sucking from it purulent mucus, washes out the cavity with antiseptic agents and introduces to drugs.
prevention of sinusitis
better to prevent disease than to treat it for a long time.Acute purulent sinusitis is not an independent disease, but occurs as a complication of inflammatory processes in the body and for colds.Therefore:
1. You can not engage in self-catarrhal sinusitis.Timely access to a doctor and the right treatment is not spent will develop a purulent form of the disease.
2. If a person has a chronic disease of the respiratory system (chronic pharyngitis, tonsillitis, rhinitis) or inflammatory diseases of the oral cavity, it is impossible these diseases, "let to chance," it is necessary to cure them.
3. It is necessary to strengthen the immune system during the cold season.To do this, you can take vitamin and mineral supplements (Alphabet Kvadevit, Vitrum), and you can eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, use volatile (onion, garlic, horseradish).
4. It is desirable to avoid hypothermia, emotional overload, stress, as these factors reduce the body's defenses.
Adhering to these recommendations, you can reduce the risk of purulent sinusitis.